Saturday 12 August 2017

A funny dream – funny peculiar not funny haha





A couple of days ago I woke up several times during the night (sigh…) and each time was thinking about 4 words which I wrote down when I finally got up.  Those words were – fields, barley, rye and shimmering.

I have never dreamed, as far as I know, in a collection of words like that.  So I decided to see if there was any significance.

And, what do you know, Mr Google's first responses included the first stanza of Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott.  Not a poem I have read for years and years.

This is the first verse:

On either side the river lie
Long fields of barley and of rye,
That clothe the wold and meet the sky;
And thro' the field the road runs by
To many-tower'd Camelot;
And up and down the people go,
Gazing where the lilies blow
Round an island there below,
The island of Shalott.

As soon as I saw this, I felt sure that was what the dream was referring to.  But I have no idea what its deeper significance is.

The Lady of Shalott is a fabulous poem but it is long – if you would like to read it – click here for a text version of the whole thing.

The poem inspired several famous paintings – one of which is the one at the top of this post – by John William Waterhouse

1 comment:

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers